SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2008

From:
Andrew Elwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Elwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:56:15 +0100
Hi folks,

We've just got a set of Tyan Thunder motherboard machines with the
nvidia chipset

00:05.0 RAID bus controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller
(rev a3)
00:05.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a3)
00:05.2 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a3)

I'm installing SL5x onto them - Plan is they will be xen dom0 machines
to run SL4x domU machines with glite 3.1 stacks in.

The raid card is seen OK with the sata_nv kernel module, but I can't
generate a fixed name for the kickstart process
(sda or sdb are not visible during kickstart, If I omit our lvm setup
section from kicksdtart it installs OK manually but thats not scalable.
Also I detest the bog standard RHEL method of naming /dev/VolGroup00/
LogVol00 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 etc etc

svr014:~# dmraid -s
*** Active Set
name   : nvidia_djeacebf
size   : 488397056
stride : 128
type   : mirror
status : ok
subsets: 0
devs   : 2
spares : 0

svr014:~# dmraid -r
/dev/sda: nvidia, "nvidia_djeacebf", mirror, ok, 488397166 sectors,
data@ 0
/dev/sdb: nvidia, "nvidia_djeacebf", mirror, ok, 488397166 sectors,
data@ 0

But I want to set the nvidia_xxxxxxx to be a fixed string so I can
define the drive settings in at build time - can anyone suggest how I
could do this (can't see modprobe options anywhere and the docs in the
2.6.18.* git tree are somewhat sparse).

Many thanks

Andrew

--