SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2008

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 17:39:38 +0100
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Howdy,
> As I'm going through my list of packages we've added, I'm sometimes making
> decisions about what to update to the latest release, versus staying at what
> we already have.
> Since we are an enterprise release, I'm thinking I should tend to stick where
> we are unless there are new drivers or something.  But just incase, I'm going
> to send the list here, and if anyone want's something upgrade (or not
> upgraded) please let me know, along with a reason why so I 'll know for next
> time.
<snip>
> yumex - ?? -
>   - update it if centos has updated it.
>
> If you have any opions on any of these, please let me know.  Thursday I am
> going through the list and does what I have written.
> Troy
> p.s. I'm pretty sure this list know's where my whiteboard web page is, but
> just incase, here is the link
> https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/rolling.whiteboard

I don't use yumex much myself but I thought you may want to check if it
still uses the wrong populateSack() api which doesn't work in sl51, ie
calling populateSack(mdtype=...) rather than populateSack(with=...).

A quick check on an sl51 box here shows just yumex and the yum changelog
plugin obviously using the wrong api:

$ locate .py| xargs egrep 'populateSack.*mdtype'
/usr/lib/yum-plugins/changelog.py:        repos.populateSack(mdtype='otherdata')
/usr/share/yumex/yumapi.py:            self.repos.populateSack(mdtype='filelists')
/usr/share/yumex/yumapi.py:            self.repos.populateSack(mdtype='otherdata')

currently I hack the /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/repos.py from
yum-3.0.6-3.sl.noarch to recognise either with=... or mdtype=... options,
since I want the yum --changelog option to work.

I'll hopefully soon be able to check on a test 5rolling install since it
has a much newer yum things may be different there...

--
Jon Peatfield,  Computer Officer,  DAMTP,  University of Cambridge
Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/