SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:16:16 -0500
Patrick Moelands wrote:
> 2008/6/6 Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>:
>> Please test and report any problems.
>> There currently are not any iso images.
>
> Installation through FTP (using the SL rolling site) does not work.
> Anaconda stops working after the partitioning and formatting of the
> harddisk (message "busy preparing installation" or something like that
> since I am using the Dutch version).
>
> Installation through yum (yum update SL5.1 to SL5.2) works without a problem.
> Installation through NFS (using one of my own servers) works flawless.
>
> There is (still) the RHN setup-tool package available for selection
> during installation.
> I kept it and it went active during firstboot.

Found the problem.
I had sucked in "rhn-setup-gnome" when I was merging the comps.xml file.
In the alpha, the problem had been that pirut was pulling it in.
I find the rhn stuff irritating during the firstboot, so expect a beta 1.1
soon.  I am triple checking to make sure that nothing else pulls in the
rhn-setup stuff.

> There is still an issue with the automatic configuration of the
> attached monitor (see bug #15:
> https://www.scientificlinux.org/bug.feature/bugs/15). This is also a
> problem with RHEL5. I am not mentioning this MUST be solved (since
> there are people who do not seems to have this problem), but rather
> make it part of the "known issues" in the release notes.

Is this really a monitor issue, or a video card issue, or a combination of them
both?
I personally use the monitor= line in kickstart, and it works correctly for me.
    I have a set of computers that I have to use it or else things turn out ugly.
But I do not have a nvidia video card.  I also do not have that particular monitor.
I do not want to put a "known issue" when I'm not sure what the boundries of
the known issue are.

If you can narrow down where the problem is, I will put it into the known issues.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group