SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2008

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2008 19:07:05 +0200
On 04/30/2008 04:59 PM, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hi All,
> We will once again be having a Plenary (a discussion/forum) at Hepix.  I
> am gathering a list of things people want to discuss.
>
> What do people want to discuss?

in addition to the "SL4 end-of-life"-issue and the (already now)
interesting "Ubuntu-creep" discussion, perhaps we could have something
on SL5 rollout at labs. I've seen Fermi's point of view ("up to our
users"), and I guess most labs have SL5 wherever they can get away with
this, but CERN will finally also be looking at 5, which means
LCG+experiment software should eventually be available as well, and
hence I hope that Grid computing capacity will move.. and as usual, this
will be a push&pull (lure 'em with free capacity on 5, reduce capacity
on 4 and threaten with deadlines). Some idea where the rest of the world
is in this would be nice.

Another issue of interest to at least me would be opinions on hardware
availability -  we are pretty  much unable to procure laptops with
RH/SL/SLC4, and desktops are difficult as well on 4. 5 will bring
temporary  relief, but to me it looks like laptops are pretty much
unsuitable for an "enterprise" level of stability. Other opinions gladly
taken, the above Ubuntu creep and the already-mentioned MacOS stampede
are at least taking pressure out of this..

Last but keast (and already mentioned a year ago), CERN occasionally
gets accused of customizing SLC too much (in the sense that software
developed on SLC {sh|w}ould {need to} be re-certified for other RH/SL
flavours. While I am not aware of any concrete example for this, it
would be nice to get both the other labs' opinion on CERN's behaviour,
and perhaps examples of similar criticism vs other SL* variants.

Regards & see you on Monday.
Jan