SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
Steve White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 12:38:33 +0100
John,

On  5.01.08, John Summerfield wrote:
> Steve White wrote:
> >Paul,
>
> >>The CUPS print system wants you to use its configuration through the
> >>web browser at port 631.  Assuming you have the httpd package
> >>installed, what happens ifyou browse
> >>
> >>http://localhost:631
> >>
> >>The IPP protocol can be specified there as one of the options on the
> >>second page.
> >>
> >>The CUPS config through the web browser is the preferred method of
> >>configuration, and the gnome or kde GUI thingies are not.
> >>
> >This only works if CUPS is running on the local system.
> >Cups is not running on my machine; I don't know why it should be.
>
> What only works if CUPS is running on the local system.

The CUPS config through the web browser works only if CUPS is running
on the local system.

> >CUPS is not running on my colleague's identical system, who set it up with
> >KDE "effortlessly" to use the print server to print to networked printers.
>
> KDE's control centre allows the selection of a printer server on a
> remote host, it's a fairly simple thing to do.
>
> That's not a useful thing to do on a laptop though, if you commonly use
> more than one network.

It makes sense for an office workstation, like my machine and my colleagues
machine.

> >As I said, I did try setting up CUPS on my system, but after a couple
> >of days of fiddling and reading web pages, never saw it print anything.
> >
> >The question is, how to configure a system (using the Gnome GUI) to
> >use a remote print server and networked printers.
>

> Well, AFAIK CUPS is installed on all my Linux systems that run one of these:
> Fedora 8
> Fedora Core 5 (two laptops)
> OpenSUSE 10.2 (one laptop)
> WBEL4 (A RHEL4 clone)
> CentOS4
> Scientific Linux 5
> Various Ubuntu

I checked some of my other colleague's systems.  Some run CUPS, some
don't.  All print to the same printer.

> and additionally, on my Apple Powerbook G4 which is running Mac OS X Tiger.
>
> Did you know that CUPS is a product of Apple? I don't think Apple
> acquired it for its line of servers.
>
> I think your desktops will work a lot better if you install CUPS. My
> laptops have no difficulty finding the printers on the LANs I use,
> without being told where to look. In fact, Linux does this better than
> Mac OS X does. CUPS has the ability to broadcast its services, to poll
> CUPS servers you know about that don't broadcast or that broadcast
> doesn't reach. Once, I configured _one_ of my systems to poll the
> printer server at work (through my VPN) and all the printers appeared on
> all my local computers.
>
> CUPS does what you are missing.

I think you missed my point.  I have managed to print without CUPS, only
by circumventing the Gnome desktop.

My colleague can configure his SL5 workstation to print without CUPS,
using KDE.

I gather from this discussion that the SL5 distro Gnome desktop does not
provide a way to configure the system to print directly to a networked
printer *without CUPS*, although the KDE desktop does.

Now, as I said, I was unable to get my system to print using CUPS.
But that is a subject for a different thread.

Cheers, again!

Steve White                                             +49(331)7499-202
Computer Programmierer                                    Zi. 35  Bg. 20
Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam (AIP)
An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Peter A. Stolz

Stiftung privaten Rechts, Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: III/7-71-026