SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 14:19:01 -0500
Claudiu Tanaselia said...

|I have an ext3 partition that I can't write to using a normal user. My
|line from fstab look like this:
|
|/dev/sda2               /media/storage          ext3    defaults,users  0 0
|
|I did chown and chmod -R +rw, no effect.
|
|This might be a basic linux thing, but until recently my only ext3
|partition was the root one so I never encounter this problem, now I
|decided to convert my whole harddrive into ext3, but I can write to it
|only as root.

You shouldn't need "users" since that just allows a normal user
to mount and unmount the file system.  "defaults" should be all
you need.  If you really want users to be able to mount and unmount
this FS, I would expect that to work.

What does it look like when you type

   mount | grep /media/storage

?