SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2007

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:39:13 +0100
Hi Troy,

I'm with Martin on this one: While I do understand why you want to have
a working default configuration and a working update mechanism installed
by default, it shouldn't be a hassle to opt out for sites with many
systems, their own mirror, and/or their own way to apply updates.

If I got it right, all I have to do in order to opt out is to provide an
RPM which provides one or more of yum-{conf,autoupdate,kernelmodule}?

Fine. Anyone who doesn't want those should really be able to do this.

On the choice of yum releases: As long as it works and there are no
changes to invocation or configuration (preferrably not even upon minor
updates), whatever you consider the best one certainly is. If there are
incompatibilities with previous releases, there should be a significant
benefit due to an upgrade and it shouldn't happen in between minor
releases.

Examples of what I would consider a  "significant benefit" :

  - performance improvement > 25%
  - additional, much wanted functionality (smarter resolver, ...)
  - true reduction of workload on developers/maintainers

Cheers,
	Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand