SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2007

From:
"Bly, MJ (Martin)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bly, MJ (Martin)
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:53:35 +0000
Hi Troy,

Comments in-line...

I like the scenario of not having the standard repo definition files in
sl-release.  We have our own mirror of the SL distributions and point
our farm at it just as you describe.  Easiest solution.

> So why have flash, atrpms, and dag in there too.  This is because of
> legacy reason's.  We already have our users trained that if they need
> certain things, those repositories are there, but they arn't
> turned on.
>   All other extra repositories, will be their own rpm in the format
> yum-repo-<repository>, such as yum-repo-centosplus

This can adapted for our other local mirrors too.

> yum-autoupdate will have
>    /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron
>    /etc/yum.d/yum.cron.excludes
>    /etc/yum.d/byhand.yum.cron
>    /etc/yum.d/checkonly.yum.cron
>    /etc/yum.d/original.yum.cron
> It will provide "yum-autoupdate"
> Reasoning:
> I think it's a good idea that others had to pull this out,
> and make it
> easy to replace.  I will also make it so that the other
> products that to
> automatic updates (yum-updated, yum-cron, etc ..) will provide
> "yum-autoupdate", so that if a person has a preference, they
> can switch
> between them.

I like to see the autoupdate stuff separate so that for our farm we can
opt not to install it, so this is good.

> Other Comments:
> I will rewrite the yum.cron script.  I still really like having a
> separete yum.cron.excludes file, that allows people to keep certain
> packages from being updated automatically, but that when they want to
> actually do an update, they can just do it by hand.  But I also
> understand people's concerns that I create my own yum.conf.
> So, here is
> my proposal.
> I will create a temporary yum.conf, but I will do it by taking the
> current yum.conf and only appending the entries in
> yum.cron.excludes to
> the already existing excludes in the yum.conf.  If there isn't an
> excludes line in the yum.conf, it will add one with the entries in
> yum.cron.excludes
>
> yum-kernelmodule
>    /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/kernel-module.conf
>    /usr/lib/yum-plugins/kernel-module.py
> It will provide "yum-kernelmodule"
> Reasoning:
> As much as I like having it bundled into the basic yum
> package, it would
> be nice to be able to have it separate.  This would allow us
> to update
> yum or the plugin independently.  The concern I have is that
> some users
> will somehow not have this installed, and then complain because
> something we support, like openafs, will not work properly for them.
> Other Comments:
> The kernelmodule plugin will support both
> kernel-module-<package>-<kernel> format, as well as
> <package>-kmdl-<kernel> format.  It will *not* have the
> function in it
> that removes the kernel modules that yum initially picks.
> This breaks
> more things than it fixes.

I assume that yum-kernelmodule won't depend on the yum-conf of
yum-autoupdate ...?

> yum-utils
> We will release the latest yum-utils that corresponds to yum
> 3.0.x.  We
> will use the naming convention that centos uses, and possibly
> even their
> source rpm, changing only the kernelmodule section.
>
> Comments are welcome, but this is starting to get pretty firm.

Looks good to me: meets the requirements I have of chunking 'yum' up
into sensible units that one can chose not to install if one doesn't
want that part of the functionality.

> Troy
> --
> Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
> Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

	Martin.
--
Martin Bly