SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2007

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:34:04 +0100
Hi Troy,

[moving this to -devel only to reduce noise on -users]

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Troy Dawson wrote:

> What if we initially created a SL_ rpm for a quick fix as we debate about the
> best way to do this.  That way, those sites who want to, can quickly fix the
> hole.

I think that's a good idea. It also has the advantage that the %post could
turn suid off for the running client. Hence it's better than just an
updated client.

> I've read the security release a couple times and it says to run
>   fs setcell -cell (local cell) -nosuid

Right. And this has to be run once asap after the client has started.

The command for %post could be

   fs setcell `fs wscell |cut -d \' -f2` -nosuid

and the one for the trigger

   sed -i "/AFS_POST_INIT/ifs setcell `fs wscell |cut -d \' -f2` -nosuid" /etc/init.d/afs

modulo the quoting required to prevent the `fs wscell` from being
evaluated on the build machine (I think it doesn't really matter whether
it's evaluated in %post during install time or every time the init script
runs.

> Is this something to be put into the startup script, or is there a setting in
> the configuration file that will fix it.  I'm just looking for the simplest
> way to get a fix to people.

I guess the AFS_POST_INIT in /etc/sysconfig/afs cannot reliably be used
for this purpose, hence modifying the init script is probably best.

You or me?

   Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand