SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2007

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:17:38 +0100
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:21:31 +0000
> Karanbir Singh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Troy Dawson wrote:
> > > I'm all for keeping apt completely out of the release.  I don't know
> > > about the SLC part, but for the SL part, when we push out updates, it's
> > > now taking hours for SL 3.  And the majority of the time is building the
> > > apt repositories.
> >
> > why not use the new Apt ? it uses the rpm-metadata ( that yum uses ) for
> > its backend stuff, and its functional on everything from RH7.3 to EL5.
> >
> > - KB
>
> I think this is a shame, but I thought YUM takes the longest to
> generate a repository well createrepo anyway.

Try the "-c" option. I works wonders at least if you only add a few rpms
to a large repo.

I stopped looking at apt when x86_64 became an important platform, and x86
compatibility was just as important, and RH did it the "multiarch" way,
and apt simply couldn't handle that. This was more than two years ago and
may have changed. Has it?

Note this really is not about starting an "apt vs. yum" debate.

--
Stephan Wiesand
  DESY - DV -