SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2007

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:01:08 +0100

>> PS: Speaking of update systems: we plan to abandon apt-get
>>     completely for SLC5.
>
> That's good to hear.
> I'm all for keeping apt completely out of the release.  I don't know
> about the SLC part, but for the SL part, when we push out updates, it's
> now taking hours for SL 3.  And the majority of the time is building the
> apt repositories.

Well, it does not really take more to build one than the other (both
apt and yum need to read package headers .. generating
actual metadata is rather quick)

Speaking of which there is one feature of apt some of our
users will be missing: installing as user in user selected
directory tree.
AFAIK yum still cannot do that ..

Jarek
__