SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:50:43 -0500
Alex Owen wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Bly, MJ (Martin) wrote:
>
>> I'm with you Troy.  Keep the conf files separate.  In fact, I'd rather
>> there was an RPM for each 'repository', so I can leave them all out and
>> create my own for our local mirrors.  But maybe that's a tad extreme.
>>
>> Martin.
>
> For what it is worth I'm with you Martin!
> I'm not a fan of deploying configs via RPM. That is what
> cfengine/puppet/lcfg/name-your-favorite-config-framework is for.
>
> The problem with SL4 was that the auto yum cron jobs were in same
> package as configs. As long as SL5 splits the auto yum cron jobs from
> configs I'll be a happy man.
>
> Alex Owen

That's easy enough, and if I read it right, Jarek is for that also.
So if I pull that out of the yum-conf, then people could use my script,
or Jarek's, updateonboot, or the one Karanbir talked about, or even (if
it get's fixed) the update deamon.

By the way, the reason I rebuild the yum.conf is so that people can have
a separete list of excludes for autoupdate versus doing yum by hand.
 From the sounds of things, it looks like maybe it's time to relook at that.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group