SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2007

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:58:33 +0100
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>> Considering everyone has moved to including the yumconfigs in the
>> -release package, I wonder why you are still shipping alternate
>> yumconf packages?
>>
>> - KB
>
> Everyone hasn't *moved* to including the yum configuration in the main
> release package, it's always been that way.

I think what Karambir means is that people are shipping config
files in redhat-release / fedora-release ... etc rpms
while SL uses another separate rpm for that purpose...

What we do for SLC variant is:

- ship SL yum (plus some plugins) with default install

- ship yum-conf rpm which contains files for all repos
  available from our install/update server - some are
  enabled / some disabled by default: in all cases
  the 'protectbase' is set for system/updates repo
  (for sake of compatibility we do not allow by default
   that packages from 3rd parties repos overwrite system
   update)

- ship yum-autoupdate rpm (this is our own bash script
  which takes care of:

  1. updating on boot (with countdown allowing for
     user interrupt if in a hurry to boot ;-))
  2. running daily update (at configurable hour plus
     random interval)
  3. mailing formatted results

  (all above configurable in an /etc/sysconfig file,
   hooked up with init.d script).

  yes: I know all these is available elsewhere from separate
  packages: advantage of this one (for us) is that this is
  a single ~ 7500 bytes bash script depending only on:
  bash, tee, unbuffer (yep .. this is ugly: but I could not
  figure out how to do it in bash .. tell me if you
  have an idea) .. and yum itself.

  If anybody is interested, latest version is at:

 http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/cern/slc4X/updates/SRPMS/yum-autoupdate-2-8.slc4.cern.src.rpm

(the motivation behind above was that we didn;t like
too much concatenating config files on the fly by the previous
script available: made eventual debugging of the problem
little bit harder..)

I think that moving yum config files into sl-release
could be a good idea ..

Cheers

Jarek
__