SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2007

From:
Oleg Sadov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Oleg Sadov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 22:49:33 +0300
Colleagues, please do not quarrel...

All of us want to have stable and useful OS platform and all of us ready
to help to another members of communtiy.

Maintaining of such large project like SL is a very hard work and many
thanks to Troy for his acitve discussing about different ways of furhter
development.

В Чтв, 01/03/2007 в 19:31 +0100, Jaroslaw Polok пишет:
> As I see it this is the end of discussion.
>
> Since in reality this is Fermi doing the job
> of providing the SL and all others are just
> using it ... adding on top ...
> if you do not wish to investigate the change
> others just have no choice.

Jarek, as I understand, Troy wrote only about SL5. I think it's
reasonably -- time frame for RHEL 5 releasing is very short and very
dangerous take risking with a such cardinally changing of development
model.

But for future releases something kind of merging resources with CentOS
(and may not only CentOS) will be reasonably. What do you think about
preparing something roadmap for such merging?

I think, the first step in this plan must be beginning discuss about
such collaboration with CentOS maintainers and community (as we can see
in this thread, we don't have something contacts with them).

But for starting, we must carefully understand: what we may and what we
need. And the same information we must get form CentOS people.

For information: we started merging resources of Linux-community in
Russia ~3-4 years ago, and only at this time we may speak about
something progress in this way :)

PS. Troy, did you remember our discussing about SL & CentOS merging in
OpenSource World 2005 at Moscow ;)?

Best regards!
--Oleg