SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2007

From:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:40:11 -0500
Michel Jouvin <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I really think Jaroslaw raised a very important topic but
> we need a deeper discussion before any final decision.

I know this is from left field and I think I understand why SL was
based on what it is (familiarity, inertia).  However, I can't help but
point out that many of the problems, large and small, that I see being
solved with some effort on this list have been solved long ago in
Debian.  I think any deeper discussion about the future of SL should
at least entertain the notion of basing it on something other than
RHEL.  Debian is an obvious candidate.

If anyone is interested in this alternative, I would like to point
them to a friendly mailing list devoted to making Debian an even
better distribution for scientists.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/

Regards,
-Brett.