SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:00:02 +1000
Hi Aldo,

> Hi,
>
> We are thinking upgrading our server for our home directories.. we
> have t wo choices and I was wondering if anyobdy had experience
> running SL on either of the
> m..
>
> The first choice is a DELL PowerEdge(TM) 2950 Server.
>
> The second choice is a computer that is manufacturer by a local
> company w ith the following features:

Why not just consider one of the HP Proliant range of servers?

DL360's, DL380's or their AMD Opteron equivalents (DL365's or DL385's).

I find Proliants (even from the older Compaq days) to be some of the best kit
I ever bought, and over the years I've tried various Dell, Acer, IBM, etc servers.

I currently run a range of DL360's and DL380's and couldn't be happier with
them. Fully Linux (RH, SUSE, Debian) supported, remote management (console,
power, etc) and hardware/snmp agents to monitor the hardware.

I run SL exclusively these days btw, from SL308 (one server left on that) to
many SL4.4's.

Regards,

Michael.