SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

December 2006

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 02:21:20 +0100
On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 04:29:17PM -0600, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Conclusion:
>  Troys Opinion:  It's obvious we need to either stay with kernel-module
> or switch over to kdml.  I vote for going with kdml, and make that into
> the standard.  It think eventually Fedora and RedHat will see that this
> way is less work, easier to implement, and just plain works.  I am not
> so set on this idea that I cannot be persuaded to continue with
> kernel-module.

I would - of course - be very much interested in seeing the kmdl
methods becoming more widespread. I'm also working on a kmdl2 spec
which will render specfiles even a bit smaller and thus easier to
maintain.

Another pro on kmdls is that it intergrates easy with yum/apt with a
plugin (similar to kernel-module packaging), while schemes w/o
unamer-in-name have real troubles to get going under yum/apt.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net