SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2006

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:02:30 +0200
Hi Troy,

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>> Hi Troy,
>>
>> there were still a couple of minor problems. For example, it's broken on
>> 64bit. And I really didn't understand the [ ! -a <filename> ] tests.
>>

> Thanks for the 64bit solution, I had forgotten about that.
>
> About the test
>
> [ ! -a $line/<filename> ]
>
> It is just checking to see if the file is there.  If there is a file there, I
> am assuming that we don't want to mess with it.  I also figure that if the
> file is there, then the directory is there.

But shouldn't that be "[ ! -e" instead? The above seems to always evaluate
to true. Maybe it's some black magic I don't get yet?

> [ -d "$line" -a ! -e "$line/%{cleanscript}" ]
>
> Although your solution is more thorough, it just seems redundant, doing two
> checks instead of one (unless I'm reading it wrong).

I agree it's a bit paranoid, but then this runs with root privileges, and
I wouldn't swear that the glob above will never ever return anything
weird, no matter under what circumstances. Also, I think
[ ! -e "$line/%{cleanscript}" ] is not a guarantee that $line exists and
is a directory, is it?

Cheers,
 	Stephan

>> I've put up a a slightly hacked version here:
>>   http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~wiesand/parentlock/
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Stephan
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Troy Dawson wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> This rpm is designed to fix the "Home Area in AFS" parentlock fix.
>>>
>>> The problem is triggered when your home area is in AFS, and you use
>>> firefox, thunderbird, and/or seamonkey.  Not always, but often, when you
>>> stop and restart firefox (or thunderbird, or seamonkey) the lock file,
>>> called parentlock, is not removed.  This makes it hard to start up your
>>> browser again.
>>>
>>> Ftp:
>>> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/30rolling/testing/i386/RPMS/browsers/SL_firefox_parentlock_fix-1.0-3.noarch.rpm

--
Stephan Wiesand
   DESY - DV -                     Phone:   +49 33762 7 7370