SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2006

From:
Jeremy Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremy Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:22:01 +0100
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006, Miles O'Neal wrote:

> We can't use that on a file server; we have absolute requirements of more
> than 32K directory entries at one level in a directory.  This is required
> by certain applications we use; there's no way around it.

Can you point me to where the limit is stated, or the source code? This
page http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=122241 suggests that
there is only a limit of 32K subdirectories in a directory and the number
of files limit is a lot larger. Of course I found this on the internet so
it could easily be wrong! Also using -O dir_index on mke2fs will make life
a lot faster (this is switched off by default in mke2fs, except when
anaconda makes a file system).

Jeremy