SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 08:32:04 -0500
Gerald Teschl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have a strange anaconda/grub problem which seems to be present
> since about fc3 (and is still here in sl4.{0,1}).
>
> After a kickstart installation, the box will not boot with a
> grub "failed to load stage 2" error. If I boot from cd in
> rescue mode and do a grub-install everythig is fine again.
> It seems to be prety random but happens here about 20% of
> the time. It happens on different hardware and if I start
> anaconda agian on a failed box it will just work fine the
> second time.
>
> I could not find anything via google. Is anybody else seeing
> this. I did not modify the installer apart from adding some
> extra rpms.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gerald

Hi,
Yes, I've seen it.  I've never been able to track it down, because it
does seem to be sortof random, and it's never happened when I actually
check the Alt screen's.
It does seem to happen more on one system than another.  Such as my
machine at home, it's happened to me twice, while, here at work, on my
machine I regularly re-install, it's never happened.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468