SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:43:18 -0500
Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
>> This is more an RHEL4 question to be honest, but since there are
>> anaconda experts around, I hope to be lucky :)
>

> I'm no anaconda expert, but recently had the opposite problem of making
> an unknown device (new flavour of intel gigabit NIC) known to anaconda.
> It turned out an appropriate entry in modules/modules.pcimap on the initrd
> is needed, otherwise anaconda would ignore the chip.
>
> So I figure removing all traces of your HBAs from this file would do.
>
>  Stephan
>
>> I'm setting up automatic install systems for a variety of different
>> EL4 type systems including among other SAN cluster nodes. The
>> automatic install is a hook on anaconda emulationg (or replicating)
>> what some Debian folks know as FAI.
>>
>> My concern is that configuring servers and cluster nodes is "too easy"
>> now, and staf members might with a typo in the config file install on
>> the wrong device as a system disk. E.g. wipe the SAN device insetad of
>> the system disk (for example: Some nodes have and sda system disc,
>> others an cciss/c0d0 and sda is the SAN device)
>>
>> Knowing that I will never install a system on a SAN device, is there
>> an easy way to remove qla2xxx support in anaconda's bootstraping? That
>> would be the safest way to allow any staff member to wildly
>> (re)install nodes attached to the storage, as I will know that during
>> installation the SAN will be invisible.
>>
>> Disabling the port on the switch does not help, as this safety
>> precaution will soon be skipped by staff members, until someone really
>> makes that typo ...
>>
>> Ideally I would only need to modify the initrd or similar, and not
>> have to rebuild anaconda :/
>>
>> Thanks!

OK, Here is a great place to start.
This file is from the anaconda rpm, found at
/usr/share/doc/anaconda-10.1.1.13/command-line.txt
Actually, the other documents there are good as well.

----------------------
Boot time command args:
-----------------------

expert          Turns on special features:
                     - allows partitioning of removable media
                     - prompts for driver disk

noshell         Do not put a shell on tty2 during install.

lowres          Force GUI installer to run at 640x480.

resolution=<mode> Run installer in mode specified, '1024x768' for example.

nousb           Do not load USB support (helps if install hangs
                 early sometimes).

nofb            Do not load the VGA16 framebuffer required for doing
                 text-mode installation in some languages

nofirewire      Do not load support for firewire devices

askmethod       Do not automatically use the CD-ROM as the install
                 source if we detect a Red Hat Linux CD in your CD-ROM
drive.

nousbstorage    Do not load usbstorage module in loader.  May help with
                 device ordering on SCSI systems.

noparport       Do not attempt to load support for parallel ports

noprobe         Do not attempt to detect hw, prompts user instead.

nonet           Do not auto-probe network devices

nostorage       Do not auto-probe storage devices (SCSI, IDE, RAID)

nopcmcia        Ignore PCMCIA controller in system.

skipddc         Skips DDC probe of monitor, may help if its handing system.

graphical       Force graphical install. Required to have ftp/http use GUI.

text            Force text mode install.

vnc             Enable vnc-based installation. You will need to connect
                 to the machine using a vnc client application.

vncpassword=<password>  Enable a password for the vnc connection. This will
                 prevent someone from inadvertantly connecting to the
                 vnc-based installation.

                 Requires 'vnc' option to be specified as well.

vncconnect=<host>[:<port>]   Once installation is up and running, connect to
                 the vnc client named <host>, and optionally use port
<port>.

                 Requires 'vnc' option to be specified as well.

updates         Prompt for floppy containing updates (bug fixes).

isa             Prompt user for ISA devices configuration.

dd              Use a driver disk.

driverdisk      Same as 'dd'.

mediacheck      Activates loader code to give user option of testing
integrity
                 of install source (if an ISO-based method).

rescue          Run rescue environment.

nomount         Don't automatically mount any installed Linux partitions
                 in rescue mode.

nopass          Don't pass keyboard/mouse info to stage 2 installer,
good for
                 testing keyboard and mouse config screens in stage2
installer
                 during network installs.

serial          Turns on serial console support.

ksdevice        Takes an argument like 'eth0', tells install what network
                 device to use for kickstart from network.

ks              Kickstart over NFS.

ks=cdrom:       Kickstart from CDROM

ks=nfs:<path>   Kickstart from NFS.

ks=<url>        Kickstart via HTTP.

ks=hd:<dev>     Kickstart via harddrive (dev = 'hda1', for example)

ks=file:<path>  Kickstart from a file (path = 'fd0/ks.cfg')

ks=ftp://<path> Kickstart from FTP.

ks=http://<path> Kickstart from HTTP.

kssendmac       Adds HTTP headers to ks=http:// request that can be helpful
                 for provisioning systems.  Includes MAC address of all
nics in
                 a CGI environment variable of the form
                 HTTP_X_RHN_PROVISIONING_0, HTTP_X_RHN_PROVISIONING_1,
etc, for
                 all nics.

dhcpclass=<class> Sends a custom DHCP vendor class identifier. ISC's
dhcpcd can
                 inspect this value using "option vendor-class-identifier".

upgradeany      Don't require an /etc/redhat-release that matches the
                 expected syntax to upgrade.

lang=<lang>     Language to use for the installation.  This should be a
                 language which is valid to be used with the 'lang'
kickstart
                 command.

keymap=<keymap> Keyboard layout to use.  Valid values are those which can be
                 used for the 'keyboard' kickstart command.

ip=<ip>         IP to use for a network installation, use 'dhcp' for DHCP.

netmask=<nm>    Netmask to use for a network installation.

gateway=<gw>    Gateway to use for a network installation.

dns=<dns>       Comma separated list of nameservers to use for a network
                 installation.

method=nfs:<path> Use <path> for an NFS installation.

method=http://<path> Use <path> for an HTTP installation

method=ftp://<path> Use <path> for an FTP installation

method=cdrom     Do a CDROM based installation.

vnc             Do graphical installation via VNC.  Instead of
                 starting a normal X server, vncserver will be started
                 and you can then connect remotely to do the
                 installation.

vncpassword=<password>  Set a password for the vnc session.

vncconnect=<host>[:<port>]   Once installation is up and running, connect to
                 the vnc client named <host>, and optionally, on port
<port>.

                 Requires 'vnc' option to be specified as well.
-------------------------

I really thought that there was a disble driver, but it looks like the
closest I can find is
  nostorage
But then the person installing has to manually do all of the storage,
which may, or may not, be what you want.

If you are wondering, the other files in that directory are

anaconda-release-notes.txt  install-methods.txt  mediacheck.txt
command-line.txt            kickstart-docs.html
COPYING                     kickstart-docs.txt

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468