SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:51:29 +0100
Hi,

please have a look at

   /afs/ifh.de/user/w/wiesand/public/www/SL4/openafs-1.3.79-4.SL.src.rpm

   http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~wiesand/SL4/openafs-1.3.79-4.SL.src.rpm

> I am currently testing on a single cpu machine.  I can startup, read, write.
> I cannot shutdown.  It's getting stuck on the umount /afs.  I'm looking into
> this more.

Well, my first write attempt still gets stuck. I can break the knot by
attaching and then detaching the running process with gdb, and afterwards
writes succeed, although about every second one with a noticeable delay.
I can then even cleanly shutdown the client, again with a noticeable
delay.

It might well be a race condition, and the problem will show up in a
slightly different manner on different hardware.

SMP still looks ok.

> I've been building the openafs on a CentOS x86_64 build, and found that the
> openafs-SL-krb5-configure-amd64.patch isn't going in a cleanly as is needed.
> It's basically getting wiped out somewhere along the way, though it LOOKS
> like it's there after doing an rpmbuild -bp.

I hope this is fixed in 4.SL. But I still have no RH4ish amd64 system up,
so I can't test yet.

> I'm a little concerned about the AUTO being on for the cache.  I know alot of
> folks here at Fermi don't have /usr/vice/cache as a seperate partition,
> especially on the desktop machines.  This basically turns AFS off for them
> until they edit the file.
> So I'm really wondering just how many people really do use a separate
> parittion for their afs cache.
> On a related note, just how much disk will AUTO take?
> If we move the cache to /var/cache (which I think is logical), I often have
> /var on it's own partition, but that's so my log files don't fill things up.
> If afs grabs the whole partition, then my log files start getting starved.

The default Cache size and location are spec macros now. I set them to
100000 and /var/cache/openafs for the time being.

Cheers,
 	Stephan

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |