SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

From:
Andrew Z <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2012 13:44:09 -0400
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:10 PM, zxq9 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 05/16/2012 02:04 AM, zxq9 wrote:
>
>> On 05/16/2012 12:54 AM, Andrew Z wrote:
>>
>>> hello,
>>> for whatever reason virtual box doesn't properly detect the 1440x900
>>> resolution (probably i didn't install valid extensions). So i have to
>>> manually select the correct resolution each time linux boots. Which lead
>>> me to the following question - is there a way to change the stty
>>> resolution without restarting the system?
>>>

>> By default /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not exist and is generated each time
>> X starts (for most people this is the same as once per boot). You can
>> have Xorg output its generated configuration in a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>> file with the command "Xorg -configure" (you might need to get more
>> specific and do "Xorg:[display number] -configure"). You can then edit
>> this file and change the display resolution to whatever you need and it
>> should be loaded every time X starts from then on.
>>
>> But I might be completely misunderstanding where your problem lies and
>> giving you wrong advice; I am not very familiar with virtual box.
>> Anyway, its painless to try and see. If that doesn't work you might try
>> editing/adding to the arguments in /boot/grub/grub.conf to pass explicit
>> screen size info automatically there as well.
>>

> Duh... I forgot something important.
>
> In any virtual environment there is almost always a machine/env instance
> parameter that declares what the screen size is (along with every other
> aspect of the environment, of course). I'm sure there is a (really easy?)
> way to change the screen size value virtual box, but I don't know what it
> is.
>
> Deciding which way is more kludgy -- adjusting the virtual box
> environment, generating an xorg.conf or passing boot parameters -- is your
> own business, but I think adjusting the virtual box environment is the most
> "correct" solution; it is also the method I don't know anything about. (O.o)

right, right agree. but i'm curios if the stty ( for non graphical console
) can be changed without rebooting the system. Now thinking, i 'm pretty
sure that stty doesn't support resolutions over certain limit (120 ? ) so
there is no way to make it 1440x900.

after some extra session of google, i came out with this
http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/workshops/cool_unix/stty.html:"
If it seems like the program you're running thinks your screen is bigger
than it is, maybe it does. You can probably fix it. Most terminal programs
display text in 24 rows of 80 characters. Using stty's rows and
columnsoptions let you reset these manually:

stty rows 24 columns 80

Or X (when configured right) will do it automatically

eval `resize`

(Remember the backquotes!!)
"
I'll try it later today to see if it works.

Andrew