SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2019

From:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2019 10:04:47 -0400
Bill Maidment <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> If anything does go awry in the future, I do not see major science
> institutions sitting back and doing nothing about it. Maybe even SL
> would then arise again? Call it Phoenix?

My personal guess is that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to
again create a Linux distribution that is primarily sponsored by a US
gov't lab.  In the future, things will have to be dire indeed for a lab
to justify the budget.  The fact that FNAL has kept SL going as long as
it has is rather remarkable.

That said, I think, and have always thought, the HEP community would be
better off if it moved en masse to Debian.  (systemd grumpiness, aside)

-Brett.