SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Michael WALSER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael WALSER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:22:27 +0100
Hi,

i have some problems with my installation.

I use SL4 as a Server system with an LVM Storage for System and Data. And
now I want so backup the whole Hard drive to an image File stored on a
LAN-NFS-Server.

I should be possible to run a disaster Recovery, which means that I can
restore the complete System with its old configuration.

Can I use TAR?

My Hard Drive has a capacity about approximately 140 Gbyte. When I use "dd"
the Image file has also 140 Gbyte, but only 51 Gbyte are currently used.

Which command or program can I use for Backup only the 51 Gbyte instead of
140 (I do not want to backup free space).

Thanks for help

Mike

             \\|//

             (o o)

E-Mail:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]