SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Donald Tripp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald Tripp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 09:34:32 -1000
The reason why you can always write to anything as root is because
you have the exact same permissions as the system. Can you reply with
the following?

?> ls -al /media

You should see something like this:

[root]# ls -al /home
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root     4096 Aug 15  2006 .
drwxr-xr-x  23 root     root     4096 May 24 13:04 ..
drwxr-xr-x  16 dtripp   dtripp   4096 May 10 16:33 dtripp
drwx------  10 guestftp guestftp 4096 May  2 09:04 guestftp

The thing to look at is the user and group name, in this case, for
the folder dtripp, its user: dtripp, group: dtripp.

If the user is root and the group is root, then your regular user
will have no access to it, and you will see something like this:

[guestftp]$ whoami
guestftp
[guestftp]$ cd /root
-bash: cd: /root: Permission denied
[guestftp]$

Or you may have the user/group/world priviledges mixed up, so that
even though the user technically has access to it, the permissions
won't allow it:

drwxr-x---   8 root root  4096 Apr 28 13:59 root

Like that, where the world has no access to /root

- Donald Tripp
HPC Systems Administrator
High Performance Computing Center
University of Hawai'i at Hilo