SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2018

From:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2018 16:15:45 -0600
On 05/13/2018 12:50 PM, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> On 2018-05-12 04:29, jdow wrote:
>> On 20180511 21:26, jdow wrote:
>>> I have yum-conf-sl7x.noarch installed. 7.5 seems to be out. But yum
>>> update still leaves the system declaring it is 7.4.
>>>
>>> {o.o}   Joanne
>>>
>> At least that's what I get on one system. The other is still declaring
>> 7.3:
>>
>> [... /etc]$ cat /etc/yum/vars/slreleasever
>> 7.3
>>
>> Shouldn't that read 7.x or something else if it's really following 7x?
>
> I've found that sometimes yum-conf-sl7x doesn't properly update
> /etc/yum/vars/slreleasever. I suspect it might be because that file is
> shared/co-owned by yum-conf-sl7x and sl-release packages, and yum seems
> sometimes to get confused as to whether the config file should be
> updated or not. That happened on a few of my systems going from 7.3 to
> 7.4, but not with the recent 7.4 to 7.5 update. My fix was to copy the
> updated slreleasever file from an updated system to one that wasn't
> updating. Someone else has suggested removing and reinstalling the
> yum-conf-sl7x package:
> [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">https:[log in to unmask]
>
> If all else fails, you could try manually updating the slreleasever
> file:  echo 7.5 > /etc/yum/vars/slreleasever

Yeah this system just isn't robust.  Which ever of sl-release or
yum-conf-sl7x is installed last "wins".  So currently after every new
point release you'll need to reinstall sl-conf-sl7x or echo 7x >
/etc/yum/vars/slreleasever.

It might be possible with the use of rpm triggers to have yum-conf-sl7x
"fix" slreleasever after every update of sl-release.

Perhaps:

%triggerin -- sl-release
echo 7x > /etc/yum/vars/slreleasever

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637