SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2015 20:26:33 -0700
On 10/19/2015 02:45 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 10/19/2015 04:53 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
>> Thank you for the kind reply; however, you seem to be addressing a
>> somewhat different situation.
>>
>> I am not virtualizing servers or anything like that.  For this use, I
>> do not need a bare iron hypervisor that then can run various
>> OS (supervisor) virtual machine images.  I need a real Linux host (SL
>> 7) that can run MS Windows under it as a guest.  ...
>> Does anyone have a solution for using the host SL 7 802.11 (wireless,
>> wifi) ISP network connection to provide the NAT used by VirtualBox?
>> (At the university,
>> we are compelled to use Eduroam; at home, our ISP is Verizon -- both
>> over 802.11 .)
> KVM/libvirt virtualizes Win7 guests just as well as it does servers.
> I use it, but with wired and wireless connections, both 802.11b/g/n
> (2.4GHz) and 802.11a (5GHz) wireless NICs.  The Win7 guest doesn't
> care and doesn't see the difference.  There are a number of HOWTOs out
> there showing how to get Win7 up as a guest, including with virtio
> disk, network, and video.  You will need the virtio driver CD; google
> for it, it's easy to find.  You need to do a bit of googling; all the
> information you need is already out there in easily accessible form on
> the KVM website.
I have found:

http://iris77.net/?p=365

Migrating Windows 7 from VirtualBox to KVM
Posted on April 9, 2014 <http://iris77.net/?p=365> by C.D.
<http://iris77.net/?author=1>

First we convert the vbox image to a KVM format (qcow2) in 2 steps:
|*VBoxManage clonehd --format raw /path/to/image.vdi /path/to/image.img*|
|*qemu-img convert -f raw /path/to/image.img -O qcow2 /path/to/image.qcow2*|

If you get an error saying /Cannot register the hard disk becuase a hard
disk with UUID already exists/
then we need to change the UUID:
|*vboxmanage internalcommands sethduuid /path/to/image.vdi*|
You should get a messagle like this one : UUID changed to:
4fb96311-e694-4ae1-a5d3-60cd9e96f843

After you add the image.qcow2 to KVM Virtual Machine Manager you’ll
probably notice that the new vm will not boot.
I had a Win7 iso image which I’ve added to KVM as an IDE CDROM and
booted from it. Go to Repair Windows and select the command prompt.
Go to you your CD DRIVE (F in my case)
|*F:
cd boot
bootsect /ntsys60 /mbr||*| That will fix the mbr sector on your qcow
image and Windows should boot now.

Install Windows VirtIO Drivers
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide/form-Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide-Para_virtualized_drivers-Mounting_the_image_with_virt_manager.html

Install Spice Guest Tools from http://www.spice-space.org/download.html

End instructions that I have found.

Are these instructions still current for the KVM system as currently
available for SL 7?

Will this run an IA-32 MS Win 7 under a X86-64 SL7?

Does the running MS Win 7 under this system have:

1.  access to "shared folders" to the Linux host

2.  access to the USB ports on the Linux host (so that any device that
runs from a USB port on native MS Win 7 still will run under
MS Win 7 under KVM under SL 7)?

3.  access to the Internet over the SL 7 host 802.11 Wifi ISP interface?

Is there a "better" migration procedure than that above?

Yasha Karant