SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2015 14:15:20 -0700
We have just been "given" a Dell Precision T1700 workstation with Nvidia
graphics, a wide format monitor, etc., that is configured to boot
MS Win 8 using a mirrored RAID configuration.  I have a SL 7 install DVD
that is fine (passes startup testing, etc.) and has installed on other
systems.
On this one, the install process starts (with some complaint from the
stock noveau GPU driver), but simply hangs.  On a previous Dell thread,
there
is some mention of waiting up to 8 minutes to boot

Re: Dell T310: 2.6.32-358.6.1.el6.x86_64 hangs on boot Mon, 29 Apr 2013
20:25:22 -0500

  -- I have only waited two minutes or so.  The monitor screen simply
goes black and there is no
indication of any activity from the hardware, making me guess that the
install system is hung.

I have seen no indications of problems about this particular system with
Linux -- it was available with RHEL 6.4 preinstalled (not the way it was
delivered to us).
It also seems to work with OpenSUSE 13.2

https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Dell_desktops --

Precision T1700 	13.2 	Icon-checked.png
<https://en.opensuse.org/File:Icon-checked.png> 	Icon-checked.png
<https://en.opensuse.org/File:Icon-checked.png> 	Icon-checked.png
<https://en.opensuse.org/File:Icon-checked.png>

End Open SUSE

and Ubuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201302-12684/

Ubuntu on Dell Precision T1700

Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS 64-bit

Available from ubuntu.com

Download
<http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04/ubuntu-12.04.5-desktop-amd64.iso>

        Certification notes

There are no notes for this release.

BIOS
    Dell: A06 (Legacy)

End Ubuntu

Thus, I expect it should work with SL 7 .  If necessary, I could install
with OpenSUSE 13.2, partition the drive system (probably all XFS except
for swap), and then install SL 7 over that (MS Windows thus having been
removed), but I would prefer simply to start with SL.

Does anyone have any experience with this platform?  Any suggestions?
Are there BIOS (secure boot, whatever) configurations that must be used
other
than what came with the MS Windows system?

Yasha Karant