SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2015

From:
Otto-Michael BRAUN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 2015 09:53:08 +0200
Bug related to bridge definitions existing in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts,
Virtual Machine Manager stops starting w. error message.

How to reproduce:
- installation or upgrade SL7.1
- copy a bridge definition into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, e.g.

DEVICE=kvmbr0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE="eth0"
IPADDR=192.168.55.31
NETWORK=192.168.55.0
PREFIX=25
BROADCAST=192.168.55.127
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
NOZEROCONF=yes
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes

- start Virtual Machine Manager.

Virtual Machine Manager does not start, but shows an error message, e.g.
"Error polling connection 'qemu///system':
(interface_definition):7: Extra content at the
end of the document
</interface><interface type="bridge"
name="vdslbr0">
----------------"

You don't need to start or use this bridge, existence of a file starting
with ifcfg- containing the line "TYPE=Bridge" will do.
As a workaround comment out all TYPE=Bridge lines before starting
Virtual Machine Manager, after start of VMM the comment marks can be
removed again. There must be a broken ifcfg- file check before in
VMManager before it starts.

Probably nobody uses these bridge definitions as there is an age-old bug
in initscripts, which successfully prevents adding and deleting of
bridges. (See also bug report id 0007594,
https://bugs.centos.org/view_all_bug_page.php, set filter to Reporter: omb)

As I can test SL7.1 only and not R..7.1 I cannot decide if this bug
should be reportet to R..H directly.

omb