SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2011

From:
Pete Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pete Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:25:09 +0000
Hi

When returning from hibernation the system does not establish a network
connection - eth0 is in /sbin/ifconfig but no ip address (normally obtained
by DHCP). Services GUI will not restart network; attempt to do so using
/sbin/services causes kernel panic. One has to reboot. Worked OK on SL5.

Also problem with printer attached to parallel port (yes, they still exist).
Cannot set up printer using usual method (http://localhost:631) - it doesn't
see a parallel port printer, or if it does it doesn't list it as an option
in setting up. Worked OK on SL5.

Also, Firefox comes up set to run offline - easily fixed but a bit tiresome.
May be a setting that can be changed using about:config but if so it's not
obvious which one. In any case probably a Mozilla issue not SL6 (though it
didn't happen in SL5) or possibly SELinux - I haven't tried switching that
off. Even if I did, however, unless it was permanently switched off my
understanding is that it comes back on on return from hibernation, when (if
I had had Firefox running) Firefox also loads automatically, only this time
in offline mode. I can't help feeling that SELinux is a bit too secure; I've
had to turn it off to get several things working, all of which obviously
presented a security risk. Not SL6's fault, though.

Regards

Peter Williams