SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
Ian Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ian Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2014 23:39:17 +0000
On 09/01/14 23:13, Paul Robert Marino wrote:
> SL is an exact match to RHEL with only a few variations such as the
> removed the client for Red Hats support site integration and added a
> few things like AFS because their labs need it. The differences are
> well documented in the release notes and its a short list.
> In addition SL guarantees long term patch availability even if Red Hat
> is no longer supporting that release.
This wasn't my understanding. According to this page
https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions ...
" * We plan on following the TUV Life Cycle. Provided TUV continues to
make the source rpms publicly available."
... which disagrees with your statement. At least the way I read it.

> CentOS tends to do thing like update the PHP libraries to make it
> easier for web developers. And as a result they take longer for many
> security patches because they occasionally hit dependency issues due
> to the packages they have updated.

I am pretty sure the base release does not do this kind of thing by
default. It would be a major deviation from being "binary compatible"
with upstream vendor, which is how I recall their stated goal to be. It
may be optional, however.