SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2010

From:
James M Pulver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James M Pulver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:06:42 -0500
I'm not really sure where the right place to ask this question as it touches on so many disparate technologies, but here goes. I'm trying to set up Windows 7 clients to print to printers served from SL5.5 CUPS server using SAMBA to provide windows print sharing. We've got it working with the default CUPS postscript drivers, but it requires Admin on the Windows clients to install the driver.

So I want to manage this obviously and thought I could create a GPO using GPP Printer and set as a shared printer under the user part of the GPO. The problem is that it doesn't seem to work - I get various access denied. I expect this has something to do with even though SAMBA is joined to the same AD Domain as the Windows 7 clients, the machine accounts don't map to anything on the Linux side...

I'm mostly wondering if anyone is doing something like this, and how they got it to work - or if there's a better managed way to do this. I.E. do you have Linux print to a Windows Print server? Use scripts to push printers to Windows? Some other method I don't know?

--
James Pulver
Information Technology Area Supervisor