SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2019

From:
Bill Maidment <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Maidment <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2019 16:37:16 +1000
Hi
I moved from CentOS 5 to SL6 when I urgently needed version 6 for some of its new features, and CentOS didn't get their act together for a few months.
I stayed with SL because of the extremely helpful, caring people who made up the team as well as those on the mailing lists.
It seemed a logical move for Fermilab to move to CentOS after CERN did that a while back. CentOS has matured since then and I do not see RedHat or IBM as threats, especially since Fermilab, CERN, et. al. will be helping to improve the product.
If anything does go awry in the future, I do not see major science institutions sitting back and doing nothing about it. Maybe even SL would then arise again? Call it Phoenix?
Anyway, I am now looking forward to CentOS 8. Are we there yet?
Cheers from an old-timer, with less than 2 cents left to contribute.
Bill