SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 20:43:01 -0700

On 10/26/2015 12:27 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:

> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>:
>
>     Although the KVM solution discussed here may work, the description
>     of this in operation appears to be a true
>     hypervisor even when only used to run, say, MS Windows as an
>     application environment virtual machine under SL.  That is, this
>     solution is not the same "in spirit" as is VirtualBox.  On a hard
>     802.3 wired connection, VirtualBox does provide Internet access to
>     the outside world from the guest; this seems to be a failure on a
>     802.11 ISP wifi connection.  JHas anyone used
>     VMware-Player-12.0.0-2985596 <tel:0-2985596>.x86_64.bundle on a
>     SL7 host with a MS Win guest?
>

> Did you really enabled bridged interface for host on VirtualBox?
>
> --
> Eero

Yes -- I just tried it again.  The only network that seems to be active
is vboxnet -- which is detected by Network Manager, but Network Manager
cannot activate vboxne -- Network Manager just "spins".    MS Win 7 Pro
complains that there is no network adapter -- although the Intel MT
hardware appears under the MS Win hardware GUI.  Does VirtualBox with a
MS Win 7 guest have Internet access from the MS Win guest on your
system?  What configuration are you using?  Could it be specific IEEE
802.11 WNICs under SL -- some work, some do not with VirtualBox current?
This used to work with an earlier 32 bit SL 6 system and an earlier
release of VirtualBox. Note that the MS Win guest is 32 bit although
both SL 7 and the VirtualBox system are 64 bit.

Yasha Karant