SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2011

From:
Marek Andreánsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marek Andreánsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:57:14 +0200
Why is securing /etc/inittab helping? I've read that by
adding init=/bin/bash to grub you can get into the machine and change the
shadow file anyway, which gives you root. I'd say that Red Hat presumes that
the server is in a secure location and it is therefore highly improbable
that anyone could just simply sit down to it and reboot it without anyone
ever noticing.

Does it actually bring any substantial benefit to add this security feature,
when an attacker can always gain root access if your physical location is
compromised ?

Best regards,
Marek Andreansky