On 24/01/2021 16:26, Serguei Mokhov wrote:
On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 11:00 AM Mark Rousell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

BUT... the fact that SysVInit is seen as outdated is NOT a reason in and of itself to support SystemD.
There may have been and, in many people's opinion, there were and are better init systems
to replace SysVInit than SystemD. "Better" being both a technical and a political/social/industrial construct.
Mark, please name the better ones. And possibly why have they not been
widely adopted?

Hehe, as I said before, I claim nothing and merely report common views.

On that basis, I will note that many people take the view that there are numerous init systems available that have the key benefit, in their view, of *not* trying to be vastly more than an init system really needs to be.

As for why less bloated (as many would see it) or over-expanded (as many would see it) init systems have not been more widely adopted, one can only observe that there are many possible reasons for this and technical ones, whilst certainly amongst them, are not necessarily the only ones. As I say, one must evaluate contentious systems not only in a purely technical light but in a political, social and industrial context too.