From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 13:21
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Is Scientfic Linux Still Active as a Distribution?

Caution: EXTERNAL email

As we could not afford the license-for-fee model that RedHat started a number of years ago (prior to which, one could download and install production RedHat -- not the "Fedora" equivalent -- licensed for free but without RedHat support -- but updates, etc., were available without fee), we too went with CentOS.  Before RH, I used Debian, but there were issues of stability.  RH was stable.  The problem with CentOS was that it was more or less a volunteer deployment, and we did not have the personnel to join the effort as our internal and external funding could not be used for that purpose.  Once SL became a more-or-less "stock" version of RHEL, and given that SL had professional funded employed personnel (as required by HEP and funded by the various governments that support Fermilab or CERN), this was the logical choice.  SL came with no support, but as several of us (myself included) were at one epoch "kernels internals" persons, and were "systems persons", and not as "IT" but as scientists and engineers, with the SL users list for "help", we had no significant issues -- see the recent exchange concerning a bug in EPEL that prevented an "easy" upgrade of the MATE desktop GUI environment.

However, RedHat is now owned by IBM, and CentOS is the RedHat "licensed for free" distro front end.   The only reason IBM exists is not to support the goals of the Freesoftware Foundation (GPL), but to support profit -- it is a major for-profit (effectively, trans-national) corporation.  Thus, one cannot rely upon entities within such a corporation to do anything that will undermine or reduce the profits of the corporation (including the overall compensation package of the CEO and the like), except in those nation states that have enforced regulations controlling the product deployments.  The USA has very little compared to much of the EU.  As Fermilab/CERN do not exist for the same purpose as IBM (individual scientists who may be the group leaders, etc., at such entities  notwithstanding), SL was a viable alternative.  There is absolutely no reason to assume that IBM will be such an alternative unless one wants to pay.  I am not going to argue with those who claim we are "freeloaders" despite paying the taxes that in part support Fermilab and CERN, but not CentOS -- if we cannot pay, we should not use -- but the realities of much university-based academic research is that there is no money and we do what we can.

In the simplest terms. I trust IBM to maximize overall return-on-investment (e.g., profit), and a "free" CentOS that truly competes with licensed-for-fee products does not fit that for-profit model.

Yasha Karant