By the way one more thing. conventional wisdom for gamers is to use Nvidia cards the reason for this is the high end Nvidia cards (1080, and 2080 series) are faster than current AMD's GPU's however I've never seen a gaming laptop with those GPU's or even a 1070 in them without being severely thermally constrained. That means on Laptops right now the field between AMD and Nvidia GPU's is actually level. Also AMD does have an advantage on Linux the amdgpu driver is GPL and part of the Kernel. this driver is good for them most pare with a couple of exceptions for which you need to install the amdgpu-pro driver which is not a kernel driver instead it actually communicates with the amdgpu driver in the kernel which means no compiles of proprietary kernel drivers on kernel updates.
The two exceptions are as follows.
1) the amdgpu-pro driver is required for crossfire (multi GPU) support this may not sound important but it is if the laptop has a Ryzen mobile CPU (that are all actually APU's with their own GPU built in)
2) if you do a lot of work with Open-CL the amdgpu driver can do it but the amdgpu-pro driver is faster for ececuting Open-CL Applications.
there is also a limitation to the amdgpu-pro driver it is pre-compiled and they only make packages for RHEL, Ubuntu LTS, and SuSE (no Fedora support :( ) this shouldn't be a problem for Scientific Linux because the RHEL version should work but it is something to keep in mind.
by the way the latest Ryzen 7 Mobile 2700U APU should be playable in most games if they need a budget gaming laptop