On 1/20/18 4:26 PM, Alan Bartlett wrote:

On 21 January 2018 at 00:08, Bruce Ferrell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

clippage here

-- the hexadecimal ID pairing for my example being 0b95:7720. That ID
pairing points to the asix driver.

Alan.

Thanks loads Alan,

The "gadget" I'm plugging is, is a Raspberry PI and I found that the
Scientific side is doing the right thing.  ifconfig usb0 shows the usb
network interface appears as it's supposed to.  udev works!

I stupidly thought I had to load g_ether on the "host" side.  No... Not
really.  Just on the PI and that works out of the box.

We can all go back to sleep now.

I've been down the rabbit hole, learned how to build a modified kernel,
found out that wasn't what I needed after all  and returned to what I
started out to do... a PI cluster using USB networking.

Thanks for the update. I'm pleased to know things are working correctly.

A Pi Cluster using USB networking reads as "interesting". Perhaps you
will write it up somewhere, when time permits?

Alan.
Yeah, when it was just "what if I do this..." it was only semi interesting, down the rabbit hole and back means a lot of learning went into it.

To paraphrase Mel Brooks, "It's good to be a geek"