Regarding yum autoupdate errors: my thanks to Alec Habig, Alan Bartlett
and Akemi Yagi for giving me three good options.  I chose Akemi’s:

> EPEL had a version of libgpod that was newer than the version in
> RHEL 7.4.  This causes an update error. So, if you have already
> installed the one from EPEL, just 'yum downgrade' the package.

This worked flawlessly:

  # yum downgrade libgpod
  # yum update

Steve
Stephen L. Talbott                               BiologyWorthyofLife.org
Senior Researcher, The Nature Institute:             natureinstitute.org
NetFuture editor:                                          netfuture.org
Mailing address: 20 May Hill Road, Ghent NY 12075      Tel: 518-672-5049