Hi,

I have set monitor-connection-files=true in my /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

It works fine (in fact, instantly) if I edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 with emacs or vi (for instance, changing the IP).

It fails miserably if I use sudoedit, or sed:

# grep 100 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
IPADDR=192.168.4.100

# sed -i 's/100/155/g' /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Even though all stats (access modify and change) are renewed.

It's worse than that: even nmcli con reload afterwards fails.

In fact, the only way to get the ip to change is by entering the file with vi, not touching it, and leave with ":wq" (not just ":q").

Why is that? What is going on here?

I know, I know, I can use nmcli in scripts, and not string-manipulation tools, but say I don't want to... :)

And still, during operations, I'd rather edit the files with sudoedit...

Thanks in advance,

Benjamin Lefoul

nWISE AB