General Linux question, y'all seem very helpful generally, hope this is o.k.

I noticed that a disk in an mdadm software RAID10 array had been automatically removed. I pulled it, popped in a new disk that is the EXACT same model as several disks already in the system and the array... ran fdisk on it, created a partition, put a disk label on it, then tried to add it, and got "not large enough to join array" as an error message. It seems like the new disk is one sector smaller. Am I just out of luck with this disk, because the firmware has decided to nuke one sector? Makes buying spares, and having them on hand, pretty dicey if such is the case. Have two on order at the moment.

This is the second time I've been led a merry go round simply trying to replace a disk in this array, it is seriously souring me on mdadm and software RAID in general (not that I was a big fan of it anyway).

Any suggestions? This is part of a dual clustered system, two RAID10 arrays in a glusterfs, so one missing drive isn't a crisis, but obviously less than ideal.

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt

[root@system1 ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdb1

Disk /dev/sdb1: 1000.2 GB, 1000203837440 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

[root@system1 ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdk1

Disk /dev/sdk1: 1000.2 GB, 1000202241024 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121600 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

lshw
                   product: WDC WD1003FBYX-0
                   vendor: Western Digital
                   physical id: 0.b.0
                   bus info: scsi@0:0.11.0
                   logical name: /dev/sdb
                   version: 1V02
                   serial: WD-WCAW35919858
                   size: 931GiB (1TB)
                   capacity: 931GiB (1TB)

                   product: WDC WD1003FBYX-0
                   vendor: Western Digital
                   physical id: 0.e.0
                   bus info: scsi@0:0.14.0
                   logical name: /dev/sdk
                   version: 1V02
                   serial: WD-WCAW33395036
                   size: 931GiB (1TB)
                   capacity: 931GiB (1TB)

[root@sapphire ~]# mdadm --manage /dev/md3 --add /dev/sdk1
mdadm: /dev/sdk1 not large enough to join array

--
Thomas Leavitt ([log in to unmask])
Interim Sr. Linux IT Consultant (880 IT Services)

This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient: (1) you may not disclose, use, distribute, copy or rely upon this message or attachment(s); and (2) please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then delete this message and its attachment(s). EAG, Inc. and its affiliates disclaim all liability for any errors, omissions, corruption or virus in this message or any attachments.