Chris,
what happen if you needed to add critical package right after you burn the DVD?  Would you keep cooking more DVDs?

Use a USB drive because it's more flexible.  It allows you to copy, remove, and replace packages.
Use command "rsync" for transfer and replace update package, but you can always choose other command that you're comfortable with.