Greetings,

I have a SL6 laptop that is partitioned like this:
Physical partition 1 - /boot - 5GB
Physical partition 2 - LVM
LVM - / - 40GB (encrypted)
LVM - swap - 5GB (encrypted)
LVM - /home - 300GB (encrypted)

Works great.

However, I would like to play videos when I travel and SL6 struggles in
this pretty badly. Especially when connecting to strange hotel Display
Port / HDMI / ect TV's (usually the display portion works, but getting
sound is a pain).

What I have been doing is booting Lubuntu 15.04 off of a thumb drive,
configuring the TV/sound, mounting the encrypted home, and playing
videos. But I would like to just move that to my SSD and leave the thumb
drive at home.

For testing purposes, I swapped hard drives (that way I don't lose
data). I reinstalled SL6 with the following:
Physical partition 1 - /boot - 5GB
Physical partition 2 - LVM
LVM - / - 40GB (encrypted)
LVM - swap - 5GB (encrypted)
LVM - /home - 20GB (encrypted)

Pretty much the exact same. Then I installed Lubuntu 15.04 so the drive
now looks like this:
Physical partition 1 - /boot - 5GB
Physical partition 2 - LVM
LVM - / - 40GB (encrypted)
LVM - swap - 5GB (encrypted)
LVM - /home - 300GB (encrypted)
LVM - / - lubuntu 40GB (encrypted)
LVM - swap - lubuntu 5GB (encrypted)

I set up two swaps because Lubuntu /really/ didn't want to share. Fine.
Whatever. Reboot after install and despite it saying it found SL6,
Lubuntu is the only boot option. I can't seem to get SL6 to boot again
(even breaking in via grub wasn't working).

OK. Fine. I will install SL6 again. It doesn't even mention that it
found Lubuntu...it just tosses itself right into /boot. On start up, it
sees all of the kernels, but thinks they are all SL kernels. I can't
boot into Lubuntu any more and if I select any kernel that isn't the SL
kernel, it freaks out (I expected as much but I was really curious).

OK, so neither OS will play nicely with each other. Let's try SL7.
Again, doesn't matter which order I install in, both claim they have to
control /boot for encrypted disks and stomp on each other. At least with
SL7, it sees and recognizes that Lubuntu is there...it just doesn't care...

I am pretty confident that if I removed the encryption piece, both
distros would play well with each other. That just isn't an option for
me though.

I have tried several things with various Virtual Machines (KVM, and
VMware) but the pass through never works properly for video/sound to
Display Port/HDMI.

Has anyone conquered this? Any suggestions? I have done about 5 installs
of both OS's today and I am really close to just going back to the USB
method of booting Lubuntu even if it is ridiculously slow.

Thanks!
~Stack~