At the bottom of each page in the GNOME docs, there's a short blurb that
says, "Got a comment? Spotted an error? Found the instructions unclear?
Send feedback about this page." Sending feedback sends a message to a
mailing list that is monitored by the docs team.

I think that the person who monitors that mailing list most regularly is
also the person who works on the sysadmin guide, so submitting your
feedback there would be as good as a bug report.  You can also file a
bug report, too.

That link is present on all GNOME help docs on the web, by the way.

I think that SL7 is using GNOME 3.8 right now, so this is the page that
you'd want to check out:

https://help.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/3.8/login-banner.html.en

Jim

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015, at 01:29 PM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
> Typically I find the upstream Gnome3 guide a bit more complete:
    https://help.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/index.html.en

    I do not see a suitable setting there either.....

    Pat

      wrote:
>> In older
          versions of SL one could include the machine name in the login
          banner.  Somethings like "%n.university.edu" in the login
          banner config screen would produce "physics1.university.edu"
          at the login screen.

>> In the present
          RHEL7 documentation (link below) I don't see this option in
          the dconf docs.  Is there an easy way to include machine name
          in the gdm login screen?

>> reference,
>> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Desktop_Migration_and_Administration_Guide/customizing-login-screen.html
>>
>> --