On 08/11/2015 12:29 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:15 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I finally found instructions ...

Evidently, the RPM does not work below EL 7, but (supposedly) the
instructions below work on EL 5 and EL 6.  One does not go through this
manual process if any of the automagic ones worked.  I will post the
results.

For anyone familiar with the referenced packages/applications below, will
this significantly "break" anything?  Obviously, the SELinux matter below is
a separate issue, in that the suggested change lessens security for specific
circumstances, but this is not "breaking" anything per se.

http://www.hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/centos.html

Manual Build and Install Instructions for CentOS
The site also offers binary rpms. I just downloaded:

hplip-3.15.7_rhel-6.0.x86_64.rpm

If this one works as is, there will be no need to build from the source.

Akemi

Akemi,

I had downloaded and installed that before via yum with issues on execution.  This time, I downloaded and installed the above RPM using rpm -Uhv
as root.  It turns out that there were additional RPMs that I had to rpm -e , and then the above RPM installed.

Upon execution, I get the following diagnostic:

[rosalind568@192 ~]$ hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.15.7)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-15 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: HPLIP is not installed properly or is installed without graphical support. Please reinstall HPLIP
warning: Qt/PyQt 4 initialization failed.
error: hp-setup requires GUI support (try running with --qt3). Also, try using interactive (-i) mode.

End error diagnostics.

Indeed, the -i mode does work and the printer (and FAX) are now installed.  Although the home LAN of the colleague uses DHCP, and thus there is no real guarantee that the ISP will always give this printer (connected via 802.3, not 802.11, to the DSL router / 802.3 repeater / 802.11 access point) the same IP address, the HP application seems to require a fixed IP address and may (probably will) fail if the ISP DHCP server assigns a different IP address to the printer.  When I get some time, I will try to find the Qt/PyQt 4 that the HP GUI requires; --qt3 did not seem to work but I will try that again, as the environment should have Qt 3.

Thus, I did not need to build from source, but a number of previously installed RPMs did need to be removed.

Yasha