On 08/11/2015 10:55 AM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

On 08/11/2015 12:29 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
On 08/11/2015 05:58 AM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
On 08/11/2015 01:46 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
I have a colleague for whom I have installed IA-32 SL 6 .  She has recently purchased a HP M225dw "all-in-one" laser printer. However, I cannot find a driver for this printer for SL 6.  HP open systems supported this printer starting with hplip-3.14.10, but I cannot find this RPM for SL 6.  The current hplip distributed by HP supports the M225dw, but will not install under SL 6.  At present, the printer will not print from SL6 although the printer is discovered over the LAN.  Any help or suggestions greatly would be appreciated.

Yasha Karant

What version of hplip is installed on the system?

Pat

hplip-3.12.4-6.el6.i686.rpm that is the most recent version I can find (could not find a more recent one in EPEL, etc., that would work with IA-32 SL6)
HPLIP 3.14.10 is the lowest rev level that supports the HP M225dw (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/release_notes.html, search on 225dw, scroll up to find the release number).
hplip-3.13.7-6.el7.x86_64.rpm
seems to be the current SL7 version, but that too will not support this printer.  The RPM from HP for current, HPLIP 3.15.7, definitely will not install on SL 6 IA-32 and I have not experimented with SL 7 X86-64.

Has anyone ported HPLIP 3.14.10 or higher to IA-32 SL6?  to X86-64 SL7?  Does a CUPS that will run on IA-32 SL6 have support for a M225dw (I cannot find a list of supported printers under CUPS)?

Thanks,

Yasha

The 6.7 BETA/rolling release includes a newer version of hplip.

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky
Scientific Linux developer

Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
www.fnal.gov
www.scientificlinux.org

 hplip-3.14.6-3.el6.i686.rpm   is what I currently find on 6 rolling --

 hplip-3.14.6-3.el6.i686.rpm also is what I find for CentOS 6.7

whereas the minimum is HPLIP 3.14,10 .

Just for comparison, here is the same information for OpenSUSE 13.2 (not the beta version "Tumbleweed")

openSUSE 13.2

Although the official release  is 3.14.6 (too low for the M225dw), there are "unofficial" releases up to 13.5.6 ("unofficial" more or less corresponds to non-RH/CentOS/SL RPMs not from vendors such as HP but that many of us in fact install).  This comparison between OpenSUSE and SL is NOT an advertisement or suggestion for OpenSUSE over SL -- now that I am running both, I personally prefer SL.  SUSE support, even for the licensed for fee Enterprise version, is much, much poorer than what one gets from this SL listserver, at least if one is knowledgeable.  Moreover, as far as I can tell, the SUSE patterns method for installing an application and the dependencies thereto is not as functional as the yum equivalent -- it will install everything, but there is no inverse to remove everything thereby installed.  Note that no one at SUSE/OpenSUSE has responded on how to automatically undo a "pattern" (manually selecting each package/rpm from a GUI one by one from a list and then starting the removal process is *NOT* automatic).

Thanks,

Yasha