On 08/24/2015 10:53 AM, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 24/08/15 15:17, John Rowe wrote:
>>> 1)  I have to have my backup sata drives removed to boot.
>>>       SL7 tries to mount them as my 9750-4I raid controller
>>>       and freezes up.  After booting up I can insert the
>>>       eSata drive(s).  And do you think I would remember?
>>>       In other words. I have top boot up twice.
>> I would strongly suggest that a "backup" drive permanently connected to
>> the computer is not a backup at all. In no particular order it leaves
>> you vulnerable to:
>>
>> Accidental deletion
>> Malicious deletion/encryption
>> Fire
>> Theft
>>
>> I know that sometimes this is much easier to point out than to fix (I
>> sense the word "cloud" appearing..)
> Okay, I'll bite ... you said "cloud" ;-)
>
> I don't necessarily see it as a problem that a backup-drive is connected
> 24/7.  It is a problem though if it is your primary and only backup.
>
> I have a local backup-drive online 24/7 where all my backups go, from
> several servers.  But I also have a CrashPlan subscription where I keep
> a remote offsite backup, synced several times during the day.  And
> CrashPlan have a point-in-time restore service as well.  So all the
> issues you list are actually covered.
>
> Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. I often backup crucial data locally; that's the first line of
defense for data corruption or a failed drive. I then back that up
elsewhere (depending on the data, this may involve disk, tape. and/or
something else). In the case of SVN, databases, and a variety of other
apps you need to dump the data somewhere first, anyway. The local backup
disk is used for this as well, and again I backup elsewhere from that.

--
Miles O'Neal
CAD Systems Engineer