On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 12:26 AM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Customer Reviews

751
4.3 out of 5 stars
Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit
            Ethernet Network Adapter in Black
Thank you for that suggestion.  Assuming I do want to use a RJ-45 crossover cable, the simplest solution is two of these devices plus a small 802.3 repeater.  This private LAN will be invisible to any external surveillance.  Does SL 7 have the necessary drivers?

I have found:
Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter in Black
Size Name: USB 3.0Color Name: BlackChange
Price:$18.99

Although I am not requesting any specific brand endorsement, it would be useful to know of hardware that does work and is supported by SL 7 with maximum transparency for setting up a Internet protocol suite LAN over a USB to 802.3 LAN; I would probably use ssh and scp between the two machines.  Both machines have working USB 3 ports under Linux (SL 7 in one case, OpenSUSE 13.2 on the other).

Yasha Karant

Commenting on an old thread: it's a GigE device, you don''t need a crossover cable. GigE is "hermaphroditic", meaning it figures out cross-over ifor CAT5 and CAT6 cable and just deals with it. And at $20 each, just keep your receipts and hand it back if it doesn't work.